Fire Safety Signs
Why do I need Fire Safety Signage?
A Fire safety sign is important because it can help to prevent accidents and injuries by warning people of potential fire hazards and directing them to safety in the event of a fire. Here are some of the reasons why you need fire safety signage:
- To warn people of fire hazards: Fire safety signs can help to warn people of potential fire hazards, such as flammable materials, electrical hazards, and blocked fire exits. This can help to prevent people from starting fires or being injured in fires.
- To direct people to safety: Fire safety signs can also help to direct people to safety in the event of a fire. This includes signs that indicate the location of fire exits, fire extinguishers, and fire alarms.
- To comply with regulations: In many countries, there are laws that require businesses to display fire safety signage. By displaying fire safety signage, you can help to ensure that you are complying with the law and protecting your employees and customers.
- To create a fire-safe culture: Fire safety signage can help to create a fire-safe culture in your workplace. This means that everyone is aware of the fire safety hazards and knows how to stay safe in the event of a fire.
When choosing fire safety signage, it is important to use the correct type of signs and to display them in the correct location. You should also make sure that the signs are clear and easy to understand.
Here are some tips for choosing and displaying fire safety signage:
- Use the international fire safety pictograms. These pictograms are universally recognized and can be understood by people of all languages.
- Use large, clear fonts. The signs should be easy to read from a distance.
- Use bright colors. The signs should be easy to see against the background.
- Display the signs in a prominent location. The signs should be placed where they are easy to see and access.
- Keep the signs clean and free of obstructions. The signs should be easy to read and understand.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your fire safety signage is effective and helps to keep your employees and customers safe.
What types of Fire Safety Signs do I need?
There are also a number of other specific types of fire safety signs, such as:
- Fire alarm signs: These signs indicate the location of fire alarms.
- Fire extinguisher signs: These signs indicate the location of fire extinguishers.
- Fire exit route signs: These signs indicate the direction of fire exits.
- Fire assembly point signs: These signs indicate the location of fire assembly points.
- Fire evacuation plan signs: These signs display a fire evacuation plan.
The specific types of fire safety signs that are required will vary depending on the country or region. It is important to consult with the relevant authorities to determine the specific requirements.
It is also important to make sure that the fire safety signs are clear and easy to understand. The signs should be written in a language that is understood by the people who will be seeing them. The signs should also be large enough to be easily read.
The size of a fire exit sign will depend on the size of the room or area where it is being displayed. However, the following are some general guidelines:
- For rooms with a smaller distance than 14 metres: 300mm x 100mm sized fire exit signs are recommended.
- For rooms with a distance between 14m and 22m: 400mm x 150mm sized fire exit signs are recommended.
- For rooms with a distance over 31m: 600mm x 200mm sized fire exit signs are recommended.
If the viewing distance is over 47m, you will need bigger fire exit signs, which are usually 900mm x 300mm.
It is also important to consider the height of the sign. The sign should be placed at a height where it is easily visible to people. A good rule of thumb is to place the sign at eye level, or about 1.8m from the floor.
All our Fire Safety Signs comply with British Standard BS5499.