How often should you review your health and safety policy?
The UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recommends that health and safety policies be reviewed at least once a year. However, there is no legal requirement to do so. The frequency with which you should review your policy will depend on many factors, including:
- The size and complexity of your business
- The nature of the work that you do
- The level of risk associated with your business activities
- Whether there have been any changes to your business, such as new equipment, new processes, or new employees
- Whether there have been any accidents or near misses
Reviewing your policy after any significant health and safety legislation changes is also a good idea.
Here are some specific examples of when you may need to review your health and safety policy:
- If you introduce new equipment or processes
- If you start working with new hazardous substances
- If you expand your business or move to new premises
- If you have a change in management or ownership
- If there is a serious accident or near miss
- If there are changes to health and safety legislation
If you are still determining how often you should review your health and safety policy, it is always best to err on the side of caution and review it more frequently. This will help ensure that your policy is always up-to-date and that you meet your legal obligations.
Here are some tips for reviewing your health and safety policy:
- Involve all the relevant stakeholders, including employees, managers, and health and safety representatives.
- Consider any feedback that you have received from employees or other stakeholders.
- Ensure your policy is clear, concise, and easy to understand.
- Ensure that your policy is relevant to the specific hazards that your employees face.
- Communicate your policy to all employees and ensure they know their responsibilities.
- Review your policy regularly and make updates as needed.
Reviewing your health and safety policy regularly can help a business to create a safe and healthy workplace for your employees.
Shop for Health & Safety Signs at The Sign Shed.