What are fire door signs?
Fire door signs are essential safety features in buildings, providing clear instructions on how to open and close fire doors in an emergency. These types of signs play a crucial role in ensuring the safe evacuation of occupants during a fire.
Purpose of Fire Door Signs
Fire door signs serve several important purposes:
- Clearly identify fire doors: These signs help people quickly identify fire doors, which are designed to compartmentalize a building and slow the spread of fire.
- Provide opening instructions: Fire door signs often include instructions on how to open the door, such as "Push" or "Turn to Open." This is particularly important for non-standard doors or those with unusual opening mechanisms.
- Emphasize the importance of closing fire doors: These signs often remind people to close fire doors after passing through them, ensuring that the compartmentalization of the building is maintained.
Types of Fire Door Signs
There are various types of fire door signs, each with specific designs and messages:
- Fire Door Keep Shut Signs: These signs emphasize how important it is to keep fire doors closed to prevent the spread of fire.
- Fire Door Keep Clear Signs: These signs instruct people to keep fire doors clear of obstructions, ensuring unobstructed passage in case of an emergency.
- Fire Door Keep Locked Signs: These signs indicate that fire doors should be kept locked to prevent unauthorized access or accidental opening.
- Automatic Fire Door Keep Clear Signs: These signs are specifically for automatic fire doors and remind people not to obstruct their operation.
Material and Placement
Fire door signs are typically made from durable materials such as rigid plastic or aluminum to withstand regular use and harsh environments. They are often photoluminescent, meaning they glow in the dark, ensuring visibility during power outages or smoke-filled conditions.
Fire door signs should be placed on or near the fire door itself, at a height that is easily visible to occupants. They should be positioned at both sides of the door if it opens in both directions.
Compliance with Standards
Fire door signs must comply with relevant safety standards, such as BS 5499-1:2011 in the UK. These standards specify the design, dimensions, colors, and symbols used on fire door signs to ensure consistency and effectiveness in conveying fire safety information.
Maintenance and Inspection
Regularly inspect fire door signs to ensure they are clean, undamaged, and securely attached. Replace damaged or faded signs promptly to maintain clear communication of fire safety instructions.
In summary, fire door signs are critical components of fire safety systems in buildings. They provide clear instructions on how to open and close fire doors, ensuring the safe evacuation of occupants during a fire emergency. By complying with relevant standards and maintaining these signs properly, building owners and managers can help protect their occupants and minimize fire hazards.